If you or your child needs braces, you may be wondering whether traditional braces or Invisalign® is the best option. Both work to straighten your teeth and provide you with a more appealing smile. The option you choose will depend on a number of factors, and comparing each option side by side can help you make an educated decision.
The Difference Between Invisalign® and Traditional Braces
While both Invisalign® and traditional braces straighten your teeth, braces use metal wires and brackets that are secured to your teeth, and Invisalign® uses removable, clear aligners.
• Treatment time—Braces must be worn 24-hours a day and are generally worn for about two years; Invisalign® is worn 22 to 24 hours per day for about 6 to 18 months.
• Color—Braces are made of metal and the color can be changed at an extra cost; Invisalign® is clear and invisible.
• Maintenance—Braces need to be brushed and flossed regularly, just like natural teeth. Invisalign® uses a cleaning system, or you can brush and rinse the trays in warm water.
• Follow-up visits—With braces, you follow up with your orthodontist every month; with Invisalign®, you change the trays every two weeks and see the dentist every four to six weeks.
• Follow up to treatment—Those who choose either braces or Invisalign® generally wear a retainer or positioner after treatment on an ongoing basis, though often just at night.
Pros of Invisalign®
There are a number of benefits to choosing Invisalign®. The aligners are removable and invisible, and you won’t have to worry about food getting caught in them, as you remove them when you eat. With Invisalign®, there also isn’t any discomfort from wires, since they consist of trays instead. Just as braces are individually made to fit each mouth, Invisalign® trays are crafted from a mold of the inside of your mouth.
For more information about Invisalign® in Thousand Oaks, CA, contact Dr. Subka’s office today. We look forward to hearing from you!