Taking care of your gums is crucial to maintaining proper oral—and even physical—health. Indeed, unhealthy gums can lead to a host of oral and other health problems including gum disease, which is nothing to take lightly. September is National Gum Care Month, and here at the office of Dr. Jacqueline Subka, DDS, APC, we want to take a moment to highlight the importance of proper gum care to your daily oral hygiene regiment in order to keep a healthy mouth and smile.
Daily Attention Is Key
Many people wait until they experience symptoms of gum irritability, such as tenderness, swelling, or bleeding before attempting to address the issue. However, it is important to be as proactive as possible when it comes to taking care of your gums. As such, in addition to brushing and flossing, we suggest the following practices aimed at staving off gum deterioration be performed every day:
· Gargle with an oral rinse that contains fluoride to remove even more bacteria.
· Use a water pick or a periodontal toothpick to further clean between your teeth.
· Gently massage your gums using a soft-bristled toothbrush and a little water.
· Rinse your mouth out with water after each meal to loosen food particles and debris.
· Apply a topical calcium phosphate paste nightly to areas of pocket recession.
Healthy Gums for a Healthy Mouth
If you follow these daily habits, in addition to seeing a dentist regularly, your chances of maintaining healthy gums throughout your lifetime will be far greater. And when it comes to a general dentist in Thousand Oaks, CA, that will help you adhere to these practices, Dr. Subka and her staff offer top-notch ongoing care. Call (805) 433-9575 to schedule an appointment or simply fill out our online consultation request form and someone from out staff will get back to you within 24 hours. And be sure to check out our online testimonials to see what our patients have to say about our practice. Make healthy gums and a healthy mouth a reality—call us today.Contact Us For An Appointment